Thursday, October 26, 2006

Day Two

One day at a time is one of the most famous cliches in recovery. And it's a good one. This is day two of my sobriety when it comes to eating and exercise. It's funny how easy it is to say "one day at a time" but how incredibly difficult it is to actually do it. Walking home from my workout yesterday morning my addict wanted to think about how hard it would be to get up tomorrow and how boring this routine will be by next week. My brain starts anticipating the weight loss, setting me up for disappointment if I fall short of the unrealistic goal that starts to get planted in my head by my addictive need for instant gratification. It's remarkable what a struggle it is to simply enjoy the moment. Celebrating the fact that I did workout, I did eat reasonably, I did get up on time again this morning is yet another discipline to work on. One day at a time is a huge key to succeeding at this process of getting a handle on my eating and exercise disciplines.

Here's the report. I've adjusted my workout to get in some weight training and a full 30 minutes of aerobic exercise with my heart rate about 160 for at least 20 minutes of that. As for food, this is what I recorded yesterday:

32 oz. water
2 seedless red grapes
14 oz. raw milk

snack
45 small seedless red grapes
64 oz. water (throughout the course of the morning)

lunch
6 oz. chunk light tuna in water with 1 tbsp. Miracle Whip
13 corn tortilla chips with 2 tbsp. salsa
4 oz. peach cider

snack
1 medium granny smith apple
32 oz. water

dinner
1 cup bbq baked beans
tuna noodle casserole with peas
12 oz. raw milk

32 oz. water (later in the evening)

Here's to Day Two and the hope that I can enjoy the moment.

No comments: