Thursday, June 04, 2009

When a Window Opens

My Mother-in-Law died last Friday. My wife and I are on an impromptu trip to Chicago and getting the chance to spend time with family. I have a brother-in-law who struggles with issues that have shown up as addictive behaviors through the years. We're very close and I'm more connected to him than my own brothers.

In all the years I've known him there have been those little windows when I could talk with him about his addictions and he would actually listen. Yesterday I had another of those opportunities.

I don't know if it's the death of his mother or the fact that he was there and powerless to stop the rapid course of events that took her life, but something opened him for a conversation about recovery. The death of a dear loved one can present interesting opportunities. I really hope that he'll act on our conversation and join a recovery program.

If there's someone you love who's being destroyed by their addictive behaviors, look for those windows when they might be open to making a change. You never know when they'll come or what they might look like. But if you're always ready you stand a better chance of taking advantage of them when they happen.

No comments: